James McGettigan Winery
In 1867, James McGettigan built this winery on a site amidst ten acres of vineyard. Unfortunately, ill-health forced him to sell both the winery and vineyard before any grapes were pressed. Herman Hess, a German immigrant, bought the property in 1877 and later remodeled part of the building for his residence. Hess' two daughters married the brothers Theodore and Albert Lang and wine-making continued there until well into the 1900's. Though not of a great capacity (20,000 gallons), it is one of the best preserved of the family winery buildings on the Island. The cellar's large double door entrance is still in tact but hidden by the front porch.
The winery building was converted entirely to a private residence around the 1930's. The present owner's family purchased the building and surrounding land in the early 1970's. The vaulted cellar, which runs the length of the structure, remains much as James McGettigan built it.
The winery is a private resident so it is not open to the public. Please respect their privacy.
From Kelleys Island, A Tour Guide